Monday, June 29, 2009

Baby's First Food Job

My friend Eryn knows I love to cook so when she got a little too busy to prepare a meal for the 20+ baby shower guests she was hosting at her house last Sunday she called me up and asked for my services. This was the first time ever that someone has offered to pay me money to cook food for them! I was so excited. It felt like a huge step in the right direction.

Eryn asked if I could make some mini Asian turkey burgers to go along with the Chinese chicken salad she'd ordered and the plans for the decor. For the record I do not like the concept of mini burgers, especially when they're called sliders!! Ew!

Here's why went down:
BURGERS
4.5 lbs ground dark turkey meat
1 ear white corn, off the cob
1 carrot, grated
3 green onions, diced
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 handful cilantro, leaves, no stems
3-4 tbs hoisin sauce
1 tbs sesame chile oil
1-2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
Salt & pepper

SAUCE
1.5 cups mayo
1 tbs hoisin
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs Mae Ploy chili sauce
1 clove garlic
Salt & pepper

FIXINS
24 French rolls or 16 hamburger buns
6-7 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 pineapple, sliced
1 head butter lettuce

Put the burger ingredients in a bowl (also I don't actually measure ingredients, I just sorta go with what I like, so please follow your heart).




Mix

Form into 24 small patties, or probably 16 large patties
I put them in the fridge overnight but you can get them right on the grill. Always, ALWAYS season before grilling. Grill 3-5 minutes per side, longer if patties are bigger. Shouldn't be more than 7-8 minutes a side.


Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Assemble burgers, sauce and fixins on toasted buns.
They are delicious if I do say so myself. Again, following reipes exactly is for pussies so do whatever you feel, whatever you think works!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment